Kansas Citians planning summer vacations in 1906 and intent on seeing firsthand the 100 active geysers, sparkling lakes, waterfalls, mountian peaks and wild animals of Yellowstone Park first made train reservations from here to Cody, Wyo. From Cody, sight-seeing trips were arranged.
No other place in the world of equal area contains as many natural wonders as Yellowstone, the Department of Interior reported 100 years ago when the Yellowstone River area was made a game preserve and pleasure ground.
The park was 62 miles long and 54 miles wide, and roads constructed by the government were excellent. Hotels along the way were equal in appointments to the best of those in large cities and were scattered through the park for convenient overnight stops and hearty meals.
Pictured in the 1906 post card (top), which was sent home by Kansas City vacationers, is a tourist party. The woment wear large picture hats, fashionable at the time and quite suitable for arrival at Old Faithful Inn, pictured on the bottom card.
In 1915 automobiles were admitted to the park for the first time and in 1917 they replaced horses for all transportation.
Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
Reproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.