2 postcard views of the 8th Street Tunnel and Wholesale District
An elevated railroad connected Kansas City, the old Union Depot in the West Bottoms and Kansas City, Kansas. It was the first elevated line constructed outside New York City, and was called the Wyandotte and Tunnel Railway.
The line began at 8th and Delaware in Kansas City and is shown on the old photographic post card as the tracks entered the 8th Street tunnel. It continued to Union Depot and on by elevated tracks to 5th and Central in Kansas City, Kansas.
The tunnel was completed April 21, 1888, by the railroad and tunnel builder, D. M. Edgerton, and was the answer of the brilliant young Kansas City engineer, Robert Gillham, to the problem of getting to the Union Depot from the city's high bluffs above. The tunnel was finished in a year's time at a cost of $800,000, a huge amount of money in 1888.
The east entrance to the tunnel in 1888 was at 8th and Washington but in 1903 was changed to 8th and Broadway, with the grade reduced.
Trains ran every 4 minutes in each direction. The fare was 5 cents.
Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
Reproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.