Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Whittier School
Whittier School
TitleWhittier School
DescriptionPostcard of Whittier School
Historical ArticleThe site for Whittier school at Perry and Indiana avenues was purchased in May, 1889, and the finished 8-room school opened in November of the same year. The school was named for John Greenleaf Whittier, American poet. (The school board, from 1886-1891, named half a dozen schools for poets.) There were 235 pupils, a principal and eight teachers.

The first principal, C.E. Carhart of Chillicothe, Missouri, served two years. He was followed by Mrs. Josephine Heermans who served 20 years, resigning in 1910 to marry the superintendent of schools, J.M. Greenwood. Mrs. Heermans suggested domestic science for the Kansas City school system and at her own expense started handwork in weaving, rafia and reeds for the girls at Whittier, grades one to four.

An exhibit of 25 monographs on method work of the teachers and 25 monographs on method work of the teachers and 25 monographs on composition received the silver medal at the St. Louis World's fair of 1904, and the following year school authorities in Moscow asked for and received part of the material on loan.

In 1891 Whittier school set up the first public kindergarten in the Kansas City system. The first flag to fly over any public school in Kansas City was hoisted at the Whittier school, paid for by teachers and pupils. A squad of soldiers attended the first flag-raising ceremony. Among the many graduates of old Whittier: John B. Gage, former mayor; Ernest Mehl, former sports editor of The Star; and Gale Stockwell, artist.

The old school was razed in January, 1959, and the cleared site became a playground for the new Whittier, the expanded grounds of which cover nearly two square blocks. The 2-story buff-colored brick building at 1012 Bales avenue has entrances on both Bales and Indiana. There are two mobile units and a total of 30 classrooms in the million-dollar facility.

Kansas City Times
January 25, 1969

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectSchools
Public Schools
Whittier School
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000048
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1068 back to results previous next