Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
First Congregational Church
First Congregational Church
TitleFirst Congregational Church
DescriptionPostcard of the First Congregational Church at Admiral Boulevard and Highland Avenue, in Northeast Kansas City
Historical ArticleDedicated December 6, 1908, the new First Congregational church at Admiral boulevard and Highland avenue, in northeast Kansas City, was for 60 years one of Kansas City's most magnificent churches.

The church was a December 5, 1905, consolidation of an earlier First Congregational church at Eleventh and McGee streets and the Clyde Congregational church near Seventh street and Brooklyn avenue.

A building committee was composed of E. E. Holmes, A. P. Marty, H. M. Lee, Eugene Rust and C. B. Norton. At the suggestion of Mayor Henry M. Beardsley the names of Mrs. J. H. Kitchen and Mrs. George E. Matthews were added.

Clarence Shephard was the architect of the English Gothic building, with its 23-inch-thick walls of Gothic stone. The church had high, vaulted ceilings and a heavy oak door. Windows were Norman Gothic with a tracery pattern of stone. On the east side of the tower were three large, stained-glass windows, which were reproductions of famous paintings. There were several amber glass windows with designs of green leaves.

In 1958 the congregation celebrated 50 years in this location and a pageant was given recalling 1863, when the City of Kansas was a military post and Long's hall at 509 Main street was used Congregational services.

In later years the church, as well as the neighborhood, began to deteriorate. For a while the church was a mission church, receiving part of its support from the mother church.

The end came in 1966, when the building was razed and the grounds sold to a motor car firm. Funds from the sale helped finance the new St. Mark's, an experimental ecumenical church of four denominations and four pastors under one roof, located at 1101 Euclid avenue.

Kansas City Star
March 1, 1969

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectFirst Congregational Church
Northeast Residential District
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1072 back to results previous next