Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Midland Hotel
Midland Hotel
TitleMidland Hotel
DescriptionPostcard of the Midland Hotel
Datecirca 1900
Historical ArticleThousands of Travelers, including cattlemen, politicians, four Presidents, businessmen and convention delegates, stopped at the fortress-like Midland hotel in the horse and buggy days.

Opened in 1888, the hotel had doors on three streets: Walnut, Grand and seventh. Its size, central location and completeness of appointment made it a rival of the older Coates House on Broadway at Tenth street.

Twelve of the Midland's bedrooms boasted private baths. The cast-iron tubs were lined with gray-white enamel and had wooden rims. By 1902 every room had a telephone, a hotel record equaled only by the Toraine of Boston and Buckingham hotel of New York.

A 75x25 foot swimming pool and steam baths in the basement made the place popular with businessmen. There was a mirrored bar off the main lobby. Parlor S was famous for the many political gatherings there.

A large dining room on the fifth floor was the scene of many elaborate functions. Guests included such celebrities as Theodore Roosevelt, Eihu Root, E. H. Harriman, Gen. Fred Funston, Admiral George Dewey, Benjamin Harrison, George Gould, Charles W. Fairbanks, and Grover Cleveland. Luminaries form the Grand theater (across the street) like the Drews and Barrymores were regular guests.

According to William Allen White, the cuisine was delectable, and he told of hearty breakfasts of fried and broiled oysters with strange sauces, fried potatoes, fruit and pancakes.

On May 27, 1908, the Midland closed doors. Contractors converted the structure into the Midland Office Building. But the charm of the old hotel remained with the spacious halls and lobbies, ornate wrought-iron stairway rails, ornamental plaster and open elevators with wrought-iron tracery.

In 1917 the building became the Railway Exchange building. Many railroads and building contractors established offices there.

The building was razed in 1966 to make way for an automobile parking lot.

Kansas City Star
March 22, 1969

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
SubjectBuildings
Postcards
Local SubjectMidland Hotel
Railway Exchange Building
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000057
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1075 back to results previous next