Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Saint Teresa's Academy
Saint Teresa's Academy
TitleSaint Teresa's Academy
DescriptionPostcard of St. Teresa's Academy
Historical ArticleSt. Teresa's academy was established at the request of Quality hill residents shortly after the close of the Civil War. The Rev. Bernard Donnelly wrote to the sisters of St. Joseph of Carondolet in St. Louis, requesting teachers.

Five sisters arrived in 1866 to found the small school the bluff on the west side of Washington street between Twelfth and Chouteau (now Eleventh). Later two wings were added, each larger than the original building.

The first pupil, Laura Coates, daughter of Kansas City's famous Kersey Coates, was said to have been surprised by the kind treatment of the sisters, since she was a Quaker.

Pupils were of varying nationalities--French, Irish, German and Spanish predominating--and nearby states and unsettled Indian territories as far off as Santa Fe, N. M. were represented.

Affluent parents paid their child's tuition in cash, but some paid theirs with cords of harnesses, horses or medical care.

In winter the students wore black alpaca dresses and black hats banded in red. For summer the uniform was a buff chambry dress and white hat trimmed in blue. No jewelry was worn, except for ear rings and breast pin.

In addition to academic courses, this school of propriety and refinement gave instruction in harp, piano, plain and fancy needlework and the making of artificial flowers and wax fruit. An hour a day was set aside for instruction in deportment and manners.

The last commencement exercise of the old academy was in 1909. St. Teresa's academy then moved to a 20-acre site at 5600 Main street. And the old Washington street site, as pictured is now occupied by two apartment houses, the Normandy and Washington Arms.

Kansas City Times
April 5, 1969

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectSaint Teresa's Academy
Catholic Schools
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1077 back to results previous next