Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Garfield School
Garfield School
TitleGarfield School
DescriptionPostcard of Garfield School
Historical ArticleGarfield school, at 421 Wabash street in the Northeast district, was one of Kansas City's oldest ward schools. The tall, red-brick building, with bell tower was erected in 1884 and reflected an era that had different ideas of education and school buildings than we do today.

The structure faced west and occupied the northeast corner of Amie street and Wabash avenue. (Amie street is named for the former Miss Amie Matthews, daughter of S. S. Matthews, who platted the addition.) In 1909 and in 1921 additions were made to the old building . The entrance was rebuilt and the bell tower removed. A lunchroom located in the basement was the first in the Kansas City public schools.

The first principal was Charles W. Thompson, who served 11 years. In 1897 C. B. Reynolds was made principal; he served 15 years before becoming principal of Northeast high school. M. J. Patterson succeeded him at Garfield in 1912.

Many men and women of prominence in business and social and professional life attended this old school. To name a few: Edward Keith, D. T. Beals, jr., George Conover, Clifford Nowlin's daughters--Mabel, Genevieve, Lucille and Frances--Ward Neff, Mary Beth Meservey, George H. Coombs, Helen Rhoda Hoopes, Casey Stengel, Frank Howard, Hewitt Swearingen and Godgrey B. Stone of San Diego, who reports that three generations of his family attended Garfield school.

More than 400 former pupils gathered April 30, 1961, from as far away as California, to have a last look at the old building before it was razed that summer.

Today a modern school and playground occupy the site of nearly a square block, and the ground where the old Garfield stood is covered by the auditorium and gymnasium, which are connnected in one large unit.

About 650 pounds pupils will attend Garfield school this year. Miss Mary J. McLeese is principal

Kansas City Times
September 6, 1969
AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectSchools
Garfield School
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1099 back to results previous next