Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Holcker-Elberg Company
Holcker-Elberg Company
TitleHolcker-Elberg Company
DescriptionPostcard of the Holcker-Elberg Company Building
Historical ArticleLouis Holcker came to Kansas City in 1888 and established a buggy and carriage plant in an abandoned church at the northwest corner of Eighth street and Grand avenue. He later enlarged the plant and moved several times.

In 1903 his son, Otto, became associated with him and in 1906 Otto became president of the company. He remained in the buggy and carriage business until the vehicles no longer were in demand.

The company became Holcker-Elberg Manufacturing company, with John R. Elberg as vice-president and treasurer. The firm operated a vehicle factory at Fourteenth and Campbell streets until 1910. The city directory showed the company in quarters in the 3-story brick building, as pictured, at Sixteenth and McGee streets.

A sign visible above the left wing (across the alley) Auto Top Dept. indicated a new line had been added to the carriage business because of the advent of new gasoline buggies. By 1913 the company's listing in city directories read Auto Bodies & Tops and no mention was made of the carriage trade.

With the passing of buggies and carriages the company became the distributor of Duco products in this area and moved to new quarters.

The building then was taken over by Bailey Reynolds Chandelier company and the interior renovated and refurbished to make suitable showrooms for gas, lighting and fireplace fixtures. Walls were paneled in walnut. The wainscoating, balustrades, steps and fireplaces were of yellow and white marble. These are still visible in the large rooms how containing the plumbing supplies of C. K. Dorman, manufacturers' representative.

The wing at the left housed Stearns-Knight Auto company for a time. Today it is occupied by E. T. Scahill company, supplier of plating materials and equipment for industrial and metal finishing companies. The large main building recently was purchased by the Hicks Brothers Chevrolet company whose agency is across the street south.

Kansas City Star
October 4, 1969
AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectBuildings
Businesses
Holcker-Elberg Company
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000085
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1103 back to results previous next