Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Kansas City Livestock Exchange Building
Kansas City Livestock Exchange Building
TitleKansas City Livestock Exchange Building
DescriptionPostcard of the Livestock Exchange Building
Historical ArticleThe first stockyards in Kansas City were big open pens built in 1871 on five acres on the east bank of the Kaw river, near what is now Twelfth street, in the Central industrial district. Livestock was watered at the river.

The market was established here to fill a need for a central outlet for the vast western grassland territory.

Several livestock exchange buildings were in use before the one shown here was built. Construction was started in 1909 and it was finished in 1911. Concrete spread footings (not pilings) on stable river bottom sand were used for the 9-story brick-faced structure of reinforced concrete and steel. Through the years the building has shown no signs of settling or other distress.

The Kansas City Live Stock exchange building fronts on 250 feet of Genesee street at Sixteenth street, and has three wings extending 126 feet to the west, not visible on the postcard.

It was the largest livestock exchange building in the world and one of the largest office buildings in Kansas City at the time.

The 475 offices housed not only the Kansas City Stock Yards company, telegraph offices, commission firms, traders, and restaurants, but also accommodated banks, railroads, packing house buyers, hay dealers, barber and beauty shops and various agricultural and related livestock covered almost 200 acres at the time and there were direct connections with 12 trunk line railroads.

A former superintendent of the Santa Fe railroad, Col. C. F. Morse, was president of the Stock Yards company, Eugene Rust was general manager, E. E. Richardson, secretary-treasurer, and Charles F. Adams was chairman of the board.

In 1957 a one-story additon was built on the south side, to extend the quartersof the Golden Ox restaurant, which opened in 1949.

Kansas City Times
October 18, 1969

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectStockyards
Livestock Exchange Building
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1105 back to results previous next