Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Orpheum Theater
Orpheum Theater
TitleOrpheum Theater
DescriptionPostcard of Orpheum Theater
Historical ArticleThe $500,000 Orpheum theater on the west side of Baltimore avenue between Twelfth and Thirteenth streets was opened December 26, 1914, to a packed house and became a favorite spot for Kansas Citians during an era when vaudeville was tops in the entertainment world.

The theater, at the time said to resemble the Paris opera house, was luxurious. The vaulted lobby was in terra cotta and colored tile. Gilt garlands of flowers and fruit decorated the interior. A spacious ladies' lounge on the second floor was filled with divans, lounging chairs, writing desks, telephones and dressing tables. Silk draperies and French carpets added to the luxury. Maids were in attendance.

There were 22 dressing rooms for artists and a spacious room for the orchestra directly under their pit.

Matinees were extremely popular with young people. Prices ranged from 10 cents in the tip balcony to 75 cents for box seats.

The Orpheum was a monument to Martin and Lawrence Lehman, father and son, who were managers through the years. The senior Lehman had previously operated the old Ninth Street theater, at Ninth and May streets, which he acquired, renovated and renamed the Orpheum in 1898. He was a founder of the Orpheum chain, of which Joseph P. Kennedy served as chairman of the board.

After its vaudeville days, the Orpheum theater housed legitimate theater in the '30s, motion pictures in the '40s and tried legitimate theater again in the '50s.

It was purchased from Fox Midwest in January, 1956, by the Trianon Hotel company, operator of the adjacent Hotel Muehlebach at Twelfth street and Baltimore.

The building was razed and the site used for the Muehlebach convention center. Pan American Airways, Frontier Airlines and Ozark Air Lines, Inc., now occupy space on Baltimore avenue.

Kansas City Times
April 4, 1970

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectTheaters
Orpheum Theater (Baltimore Avenue)
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000111
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1128 back to results previous next