Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Forest Hill Cemetery
Forest Hill Cemetery
TitleForest Hill Cemetery
DescriptionPostcard of Forest Hill Cemetery
Historical ArticleThis 1908 post card shows a section of the south central part of Forest Hill Cemetery in the days when the hearse and other funeral vehicles were horse-drawn. The cemetery, at Sixty-ninth street and Troost avenue, was incorporated in 1888.

The building in the right background was the receiving vault used to keep bodies when the weather was inclement or the ground frozen. The Phoenix granite building contained 80 catacombs.

There were no mechanical devices for digging graves at the time, and the necessary labor was difficult in zero weather.

The building stands today, but it is used for miscellaneous storage. The small lake has been filled with earth and landscaped.

Some Kansas Citians can remember driving to the cemetery on Decoration day, with their carriages filled with containers of flowers and water. Others remember riding on the Marlborough street car line which ran through the grounds on Woodland avenue.

The right of way for the line was given to the street car company for use as long as it maintained a carline. Today it has reverted to Forest Hill and is part of the cemetery.

A shelter house was located at the entrance on Woodland and a farm pasture bordering the cemetery was filled with daisies. For 25 cents the farmer permitted persons to pick all they could carry. The flowers then were carried into the cemetery and used to decorate graves.

The cemetery has been famous through the years for its wealth of and variety of trees. Originally there were 104 species of American, European and Oriental trees. George Kessler was the landscape architect. The plantings were started by George Law and Sid J. Hare.

Kansas City Times
May 30, 1970

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectCemeteries
Forest Hill Cemetery
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000119
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1136 back to results previous next