Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Manual Training High School
Manual Training High School
TitleManual Training High School
DescriptionPostcard of Manual Training High School
Historical ArticleManual training high school, on the south side of Fifteenth street, between Forest and Tracy avenues, was opened in the fall of 1897, with Prof. G.B. Morrison as principal. James M. Greenwood was superintendent of the public schools at the time.

The public entrance to the school was on Fifteenth street, the girls' entrance on Forest and the boys' on Tracy.

The school was the first west of the Mississippi river to teach the manual arts. Boys were taught drafting, woodwork, forge, metal lathe, steam and electricity; girls were taught cooking, sewing, and art, and 4-year academic courses were open to all.

There was no gymnasium, but a small exercise room was available.

There was no cafeteria, but in 1913 the girls from the cooking class of the comely Miss Fredericka Fluke carried sandwich material to a room on the tip floor of the building, where they made sandwiches, descended the three flights of stairs and sold them. There were no elevators in the school.

In 1905 and 1908 Emery-Bird-Thayer issued handsome brochures with pictures of Kansas Cityâ??s fine stores, boulevards, churches, hotels, typical apartments, beautiful residences, a Country club school and a public school, Manual. One brochure states:

Manual Training High School: A school building without a superior in the United States. There are 1,700 pupils enrolled in this school. Kansas City has the largest percentage of high school scholars of any city. Its public school system is recognized to be at a very high degree of perfection. This city was the first in the country to make its school board nonpartisan.

P.B.S. Peters was an instructor in commercial subjects when the school opened and continued his work there for 40 years. A son, Shelley F. Peters, was graduated from Manual and later taught there. Today he is assistant superintendent of schools in charge of business services, and is proud of the father-and-son record of 73 years continuous service in the public school system here.

Manual training high, as pictured on this 1907 Hall Brothers postcard, was razed in 1969. A technical education center will be constructed on the site.

Kansas City Times
August 29, 1970
AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectSchools
Public Schools
Manual High School
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000130
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1147 back to results previous next