Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
First Church of Christ, Scientist
First Church of Christ, Scientist
TitleFirst Church of Christ, Scientist
DescriptionPostcard of the First Church of Christ, Scientist at Ninth and Forest Streets
Historical ArticleThe First Church of Christ, Scientist, at Ninth and Forest streets, was the first of its denomination west of the Mississippi river.

Mary Baker Eddy established the Massachusetts Metaphysical college in 1881. Five years later a graduate of the school, Mrs. Emma D. Behan, came to Kansas City and opened an office in her home at 913 East Fourteenth street. The converts, mostly students and patients of Mrs. Behan, met weekly in her home in 1888.

Later Second and Third churches were formed (before 1900) and held services in various buildings. The Pepper building, Lyceum hall and Willis Wood theater were among those used.

In 1897 the three churches finally united under the Charter of 1890, and plans were made for building a church. Arthur E. Stillwell, of railway fame, was an active spirit in the building enterprise.

The stately early-Gothic stone structure, with terra cotta roofing and low, square towers, as pictured on the German-made post card, was built in 1898 at a cost of $67,000 and was considered one of the most beautiful in this part of the country.

At the dedication services--Christmas, 1898--a telegram was received from Mary Baker Eddy. It is still treasured by the present organization.

Early-day homes shown on Forest street are no longer standing, having been replaced by apartment houses. But the old church, mellowed by 72 years of uninterrupted services, still stands, in beautiful condition inside and out.

A Sunday school room was added to the south side of the structure when extensive repairs were made after a fire in 1910.

Kansas City Star
October 24, 1970
AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectChristian Science Churches
Buildings
Churches
First Church of Christ Scientist
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000137
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1153 back to results previous next