Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Kirk Armour Residence
Kirk Armour Residence
TitleKirk Armour Residence
DescriptionPostcard of the Kirk Armour home at Warwick and Armour
Historical ArticleThe palatial Kirk Armour home, with the appearance of a French chateau, was built in 1896 at the corner of Warwick and Armour boulevards. (Armour boulevard was named for Kirk's uncle, S. B. Armour, a member of the first Kansas City Park board.)

This residence was the largest and most admired architecturally on Armour boulevard. A great barn to the rear stabled fine horses and was well staffed with grooms and a coachman. Still remembered is the great elm tree in the back yard, where a long cable from the treetop to the ground, straddled by a pulley and rope, furnished fun and breathless rides for the young Armour boys and their friends.

Kirkland B. Armour was a handsome mustached man, dedicated to work. He was born April 10, 1854, son of A. Watson Armour, who was conspicuously involved in the meatpacking and banking development of early Kansas City.

In 1881, Kirk married Miss Anna P. Hearne of Wheeling, W. Va. They occupied homes at 1114 Wyandotte and at 1017 Penn, on old Quality Hill, before building the Warwick boulevard mansion. He served as vice-president and general manager of the Armour Packing company here. At the death of S. B. Armour in 1893, he became president.

He had a taste for fine livestock and imported cattle that had been part of the queen's herd in England. He purchased 1,000 acres of farm land (with brother Charles) south of Kansas City, that is now part of the Country Club district and known as Meyer Circle, Romanelli West, Romanelli Gardens, Greenway Fields, Armour Hills, Armour Fields and Armour Gardens. He died in 1901 at the age of 47.

The old mansion, as pictured in color on a German-made post card, was later occupied by a school of the French sisters of Notre Dame de Sion. Today the site is covered by the Standard Oil office building.

Kansas City Star
November 28, 1970

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectArmour, Kirkland B.
Kirkland Armour Residence
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000141
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1157 back to results previous next