Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Second Church of Christ, Scientist
Second Church of Christ, Scientist
TitleSecond Church of Christ, Scientist
DescriptionPostcard of the Second Church of Christ, Scientist
Historical ArticleThe well-proportioned dome of the Second Church of Christ, Scientist, was clearly visible on the skyline for miles in every direction when the church was built in 1904 on one of the highest points in Jackson County, at the end of the Troost car line.

The church had been organized in February, 1898, with 60 members, and grew to an average attendance of 600 at the Sunday morning and evening services. The Willis Wood Theater was used for services while the church was being built.

F. R. Comstock, New York architect who had designed the mother church in Boston 10 years previously, drew the plans for the Roman-Doric temple of pure white Phoenix stone, with its massive 44-foot-high columns. The mason work was awarded to Otho E. Laird. The cornerstone came from Concord, N.H., the home and birthplace of Mary Baker Eddy, founder of the church.

The church opened Christmas day in 1904, with four services. Seating capacity of the auditorium was 1,072. Cost of the church was $215,000.

Directors at the time were Mrs. A. J. Baird, Mr. and Mrs. A. Schooley, Mrs. G. B. Kienzle, L. Reynolds, C. C. Hoefer, Mrs. A. E. Kinney, J. W. Wilson, Mrs. Olivia S. Taylor, Mrs. William Hall and Eugene G. E. Jaccard.

Chimes similar to those of the mother church were installed in 1907. Unusual for their muted tones, the 15-tube chimes gave out music like that of great bells at a distace.

The church property was sold to J. C. Penney and razed in 1955 to make way for a Penney store.

A new Second Church of Christ, Scientist, was built at 1309 Meadow Lake Parkway. One of the stained glass windows from the old edifice is used as a room divider in the glass paneling at the Christian Science reading room in the Ward Parkway Shopping Center.

Kansas City Star
August 14, 1971

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectSecond Church of Christ Scientist
Buildings
Churches
Christian Science Churches
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000170
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1184 back to results previous next