Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Central High School
Central High School
TitleCentral High School
DescriptionPostcard of Central High School
Historical ArticleThe Municipal Courts Building now being completed at the southeast corner of 11th and Locust occupies a site remembered by many Kansas Citians as the location of old Central High School, later the home of the Polytechnic Junior College. The ground was one of Kansas City's first school property acquisitions.

Kansas City had no public school system until after the Civil War. Then on Aug. 1, 1867, the Board of Education was organized. It was composed of W. E. Sheffield, president; H. C. Kumpf, secretary; J. A. Bachman, treasurer; E. H. Allen, T. B. Lester and E. H. Spalding. J. B. Bradley was elected superintendent and teacher in the Central school.

Whitney's History states: There was not a public school building in the city and there was not a dollar available for school expenses. Buildings used for school purposes were old, deserted dwellings, unoccupied store-rooms and damp, gloomy basements.

On Sept. 17, 1867, Central High school was opened in the lower floor of the Starke Building at 11th and Locust. The property, purchased four months later by the Board of Education, has proved valuable for over a century.

In 1883 a new school building was erected south of the old Starke building and the Starke building was abandoned. This first section of Central can be seen at the extreme right on the post card.

In 1892 the Starke building was torn down and in its place a 3-story red brick building with tower (center) was built. The south part, built in 1883, was remodeled and connected with the main building, In 1908 the old buildings were again renovated and another addition was built in east.

When Central High School moved south in 1915 to its present location at Linwood and Indiana, the old 11th Street facility became the home of the Polytechnic Institute and Junior College.

It later was razed and used as a parking facility.

Tuesday Kansas Citians will vote on the general obligation bonds which will be used to complete the Municipal Courts Building at this historic spot.

Kansas City Star
August 5, 1972
AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectSchools
Central High School
Public Schools
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000214
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1221 back to results previous next