Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
American Royal Building
American Royal Building
TitleAmerican Royal Building
DescriptionPostcard of the American Royal building
Historical ArticleDozens of American flags flew from the roof of the newly finished American Royal building as it opened in the fall of 1922 for its first show in the new quarters. Construction had commenced the year before, Nov. 7, 1921.

For several years the show had operated in cramped quarters, and at various locations including tents and downtown at Electric Park and Convention Hall. Realizing the serious housing situation, the Stock Yards Company, with George R. Collett, president, and William H. Weeks, vice-president, acquired a building site at 23rd and Wyoming and arranged for the necessary funds to build the building and operate the show for a period of 20 years.

The Shorthorn and Hereford Breeders Associations and the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce contributed $100,000 among them toward the project.

The new building was built in two parts, the Arena building, two stories high and fronting on the viaduct at 23rd and Wyoming, and the annex, north of it, also with two floors but on a lower street level.

According to the legend on the reverse side of the 1922 post card, the building was of reinforced concrete, brick and tile, practically fireproof, 782 feet long, two stories in height and over six acres of floor area. There were 6,100 permanent seats, arranged amphitheater style around the arena. Seats 10,000 to 12,000 if arena is used.

Part of the structure burned in 1925 but was rebuilt and enlarged in time for the show that fall.

Kansas City Star
February 3, 1973

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectBuildings
American Royal
American Royal Building
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1240 back to results previous next