Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Baltimore Hotel
Baltimore Hotel
TitleBaltimore Hotel
DescriptionPostcard of the Baltimore Hotel
Historical ArticleThe famous Baltimore Hotel pictured on the 1907 post card occupied the entire west half of what is now designated as Block 92. (Block 92 extends from Main to Baltimore between 11th and 12th.)

The hotel was built in the years 1898-99. The property was owned by the Thomas Corrigan estate. Corrigan was the street car magnate of early-day Kansas City.

Louis Curtiss, a Kansas City architect, honored in recent years by the American Institute of Architects, drew the plans. Curtiss was widely traveled and brought European ideas to the hotel, including the Carrara marble columns in the Renaissance room and a fountain of same material in the Pompeian room. Taylor and Winn Construction Company was the contractor.

The hotel was popular for after-theater supper parties. An underground passage led from the hotel's bar to the lobby of the splendid Willis Wood Theater at Baltimore and 11th.

The genteel mood of the classic dining rooms was enhanced by gilded furnishings, soft lighting, fine stringed orchestras and famous soloists. A row of horse drawn cabs stood ready at the Baltimore curb for the convenience of guests or for quick trips to catch trains at the station.

The late Henry Van Brunt once wrote: Hotel Baltimore, the grand hotel for three decades at the very heart of the city, both physically and sentimentally.

On Aug. 6, 1938, the hotel closed its doors, and the building was razed two years later. Replacing the hotel were new retail shops and a 4-level parking facility. Now these have been leveled by wrecking crews and the entire block looks much like pictures of World War II bombed sites of European cities.

A 32-story building is being planned to utilize the entire area of the block. Offices will occupy upper floors and the lower three will be used for retail commercial space. An expansive plaza at street level will have gardens, urns of trees, fountains and places to sit. Underground will be three levels of parking, with space for 447 cars.

Kansas City Star
February 24, 1973

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectHotels
Baltimore Hotel
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000239
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1243 back to results previous next