Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Century Theater
Century Theater
TitleCentury Theater
DescriptionPostcard of the Century Theater
Historical ArticleThe Century Theater at 12th and Central, designed by Louis S. Curtiss, prominent Kansas City architect, was first called the Standard Theater. The owner, Edward J. Butler, was a wealthy real estate man from St. Louis.

The theater, together with an adjoining hotel, the Edward (razed in 1965) was a hub of activity during the early years of this century. Today it is an important survival of turn-of-the-century theater architecture in the downtown area.

The Standard opened Sept. 13, 1900, offering performances of burlesque comedy and vaudeville.

After a Jan. 31, 1901 fire which destroyed the Coates Opera House three blocks away, the bill included opera and comic performances transferred to the Standard from the Coates. It was at this time that such popular performers as Sarah Bernhardt, Maude Adams and Richard Mansfield, appeared.

In 1902 the theater's name was changed to the Century. Burlesque shows scheduled on the Empire Circuit were presented. Al Jolson, Fannie Brice and Eddie Foy were among the stars who appeared during this time.

Joe Donegan, manager of the theater and the Edward hotel from 1900 until 1922, scheduled special events, often prize fights and wrestling, on Saturday nights after the regular show. Among those appearing were Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey.

The Shubert brothers purchased the theater in 1923 and renamed it Shubert's Missouri. During this era the theater produced legitimate drama, such as the plays of Eugene O'Neill and William Shakespeare.

With prohibition the theater and grill encountered hard times. The theater was intermittently open for touring shows and movies until it closed in 1932. Five years later it was auctioned for back taxes.

In 1941 the theater reopened as the Folly with strip-tease shows. Later X rated movies were added. The theater closed in December, 1973.

The building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places because of its importance as an element in the history of Kansas City architecture, society and humanities.

The Performing Arts Foundation, which is purchasing the building, plans to restore and refurbish it.

Kansas City Times
December 28, 1974

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectBuildings
Theaters
Century Theater
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000311
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1302 back to results previous next