Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Kansas City Star Building
Kansas City Star Building
TitleKansas City Star Building
DescriptionPostcard of the Kansas City Star Building
Historical ArticleThe sixth (and present) home of the Kansas City Star, an Italian Renaissance building of tapestry brick, appears on an early post card much as it looked when completed in 1911.

William Rockhill Nelson, the founder and owner of The Star, had always been a builder. He got his inspiration for The Star's building from the McLean home in Washington.

Jarvis Hunt, eminent architect from Chicago, was entrusted with the design of the building. (Hunt also designed the Union Station.)

Hunt's first plans for the building, a palatial structure in marble, were rejected in no uncertain terms by Nelson: A beautiful building of course, but it wouldn't do for a print shop. You couldn't imagine a printer's devil all covered with ink come running out of a marble palace.

The adaptation of the McLean home was then worked out by Hunt under Nelson's supervision.

The newspaper first was printed in 1880 on the second story of a 3-story building at 407-409 Delaware. In 1881 a move was made to a building at 14 W. 5th Street.

In 1882 The Star moved to 115 W. 6th, where it remained for seven years. In 1889, needing more space, the newspaper took over the entire building at 804-806 Wyandotte.

In 1894 came a downtown location at the northeast corner of 11th and Grand, across the street from Emery-Bird-Thayer. In 1911 The Star moved to its present location at 18th and Grand.

Today the area in front of the building is much changed from the post-card view by plantings, a fountain and a parking lot enclosed by a decorative brick wall.

Kansas City Times
February 15, 1975

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectBuildings
Kansas City Star
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1307 back to results previous next