Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Grace Episcopal Church
Grace Episcopal Church
TitleGrace Episcopal Church
DescriptionPostcard of the Grace Episcopal Church at 13th and Washington Streets
Historical ArticleGrace Episcopal Church parish, organized April 14, 1873, began plans for the building of the structure pictured here, at 415 W. 13th, in 1889. The Guild Hall (right) was completed in March, 1890. The church building proper was first occupied Dec. 16, 1894, and it was consecrated May 15, 1898, by Bishop Edward R. Atwill.

Frederick E. Hill was the architect. The cost of the structure was $100,000. (Hill also drew the plans for old Convention Hall.)

Whitney's Kansas City History, published in 1908, described the church: Grace Church is an imposing stone edifice, designed after the transitional Norman-Gothic architecture.

The church contains five memorial windows made by the best artists in stained glass. The lectern, a memorial to Mrs. Aileen March Wilson, is a beautiful work in carved oak, made by the most artistic wood carver in America. Guild Hall contains a valuable collection of proof engravings of religious subjects by old masters.

The natural fieldstone walls of the church are unplastered on the interior, leaving the impressive handiwork of the stone artisans exposed.

Today Grace and Holy Trinity Cathedral is the seat of the Episcopal diocese of west Missouri, of which the Rt. Rev. Arthur A. Vogel is bishop. The Very Rev. Eugene G. Malcolm is dean of the cathedral.

Kansas City Star
February 22, 1975

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectGrace and Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
Buildings
Churches
Episcopal Churches
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000317
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1308 back to results previous next