Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Finance Building
Finance Building
TitleFinance Building
DescriptionPostcard of the Finance Building at 10th and Baltimore
Historical ArticleThe 7-story fireproof Finance Building at 1009-11 Baltimore was completed in 1908. Charles A. Smith and Frank S. Rea were the architects. The building, with its steel frame work and reinforced concrete floors, was 60 by 84 feet with a white enamel brick light court in the center.

The new building will be rented to financial concerns and their attorneys, a story in the Star said. The entire corridor on the first floor will be finished in marble, with marble stairways. The building is to be equipped with two Otis traction elevators with a high speed of 450 feet per minute. In the basement will be a café and barbershop. The entire front of the building will be of terracotta with a granite finish, matching the walls of the New England Bank Building.

Next to the Finance Building in the post card picture is the H. O. Peet brokerage house and beyond that the First National Bank.

A vacant lot south of the building (at the right side of the post card) was used for John Taylor's delivery teams and wagons. Today the Macy store is at that location.

The card, a promotional post card, bears the name Harry G. Henley, Agent. Henley, a lawyer, previously had occupied office space in the Scarritt Building and in the Victor Building.

Only 65 business buildings were listed in the telephone book in 1909, the year the Finance Building was first listed.

The building was purchased a year ago by a group of architects and engineers. The building has been remodeled and the offices have been redesigned for use by architectural and engineering firms.

Kansas City Star
May 17, 1975

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectBuildings
Finance Building
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1316 back to results previous next