Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Schmelzer Arms Co.
Schmelzer Arms Co.
TitleSchmelzer Arms Co.
DescriptionPostcard of the Schmelzer Arms Co. building at 1214 Grand Avenue
Historical ArticleSchmelzer's new up-town store, 1214-18 Grand Ave., replaced an earlier store at 710-720 Main Street.

The store founder was John F. Schmelzer, German-born manufacturer of firearms, who came to America from Oldenburg, Germany, in 1844 and settled in Hartford, Conn., where he was associated with Colt's armory.

He arrived by Missouri River steamboat at Leavenworth, Kan., in 1857 and started the business which became Schmelzer Arms Company.

His son, Charles J. Schmelzer, spent his boyhood days in Leavenworth where he attended grade and high school, becoming associated with his father at the age of 16.

During the 1880s Charles traveled in the West by wagon, selling firearms and ammunition. His route took him through Nebraska and Kansas and out to the Colorado line. He often recalled seeing stacks of buffalo hides around the old-time trading stations.

John, the father, retired in 1887 and the firm was moved from Leavenworth to Kansas City at that time. The business was incorporated in 1896 with a capital of $75,000 and by 1907 had grown to a $300,000 firm. Incorporated as J. F. Schmelzer & Sons, the sons were Charles J. and Herman F.

The old promotional post card pictures signs on the Schmelzer store front listing guns, fishing tackle, firearms, fireworks, cutlery, athletic goods, bicycles, talking machines, Kodaks and toys. Later, golf equipment was a popular item.

The legend on the reverse side reads Schmelzer Arms Co. at 1214 Grand Ave. is the most interesting store in Kansas City. Many Kansas Citians of that day would have agreed, especially men interested in hunting and sports.

Charles J. Schmelzer was president of the Chamber of Commerce in 1900. He was one of the founders of the Priests of Pallas parade.

Kansas City Times
October 18, 1975

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectSchmelzer Arms Company
Sporting Goods Stores
Stores
Businesses
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000342
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1332 back to results previous next