Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Erste Deutsche Methodisten Kirche (First German Methodist Church)
Erste Deutsche Methodisten Kirche (First German Methodist Church)
TitleErste Deutsche Methodisten Kirche (First German Methodist Church)
DescriptionPostcard of the First German Methodist Church at 14th and Campbell
Historical ArticleThe Erste Deutsche Methodisten Kirche (First German Methodist Church) at the northeast corner of 14th and Campbell was first listed in city directories of 1885. The pastor's home was next door east. Services were conducted in the German language and the church was packed on Sundays with young German immigrants who had come to Kansas City to work. Many were factory, plant, store and domestic employees.

The church rendered a tremendous service to its parishioners during the period of transition from German customs and language to the American way.

The post card was mailed from Kansas City by Minnie Schowengerdt Minnich to her friend, Mrs. Carrie Osborn, in Williamsville, Mo., in 1909. The Schowengerdts were members of the church and drove by horse and buggy from their farm south of Independence to attend services. (Later the large Schowengerdt family founded a new German Methodist church built in 1893 at Lexington and Spring in Independence.)

The Rev. C. Wesley Schowengerdt, a member of this pioneer family and now a retired Methodist minister living at 3855 Blue Ridge Boulevard, remembers attending services as a boy at the church at 14th and Campbell, and also recalls the Sunday he occupied the pulpit, when he was a student of the ministry. His subject was The Waves of the Sea and Overcoming Your Obstacles.

Mr. Schowengerdt says several of the Methodist churches here now were formerly of the German conference. Louis Wesley Schowengerdt, his son, is the present superintendent of the south district and lives at 11543 Baltimore.

Ministers of the early church were John H. Helmes, 1887; J. L. Sternberg, 1895; H. J. Diercks, 1904; Rev. W. F. Isler, 1907; Rev. W. F. Havinghurst, 1915; Rev. C. L. Koerner, 1918.

Kansas City Times
April 10, 1976

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectChurches
Methodist Churches
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000351
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1340 back to results previous next