Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
James H. Ogelby Residence
James H. Ogelby Residence
TitleJames H. Ogelby Residence
DescriptionPostcard of the home of Kansas City Aerie No. 47, Fraternal Order of Eagles, formerly the James H. Ogelby Residence
Historical ArticleAn old post card printed in black and white and mailed in Kansas City in 1907 is titled The Home of Kansas City Aerie No. 47, Fraternal Order of Eagles.

The 3-story mansion at the southwest corner of 11th and Central with a huge brass eagle and the American flag flying from its tall gables was once the James H. Oglebay residence. The Oglebays and other West Side families were described in a 1932 story in The Star:

There was a West Side group of old families that left its impression on the city. Among them were the Oglebays, the Nelsons, the Fosters, the Birds, the Coatses, the Reeds, the Gunns, the Porters, the Devols, the Suydams, the H. C. Brents and the Hudsons. The Oglebays continued to live in the old home longer than most of the other families of the old West side. The familiy was conspicuously identified with the growth of Kansas City.

James Oglebay was an early day wholesale grocer, having founded the business in 1878 with two brothers, Frank M. and Earl Oglebay.

James Oglebay spent much time as a breeder of horses, trotters rather than race horses, and he was one of the last Kansas Citians to abandon the horse and buggy as a means of transportation around the city. His son Crispin, a multimillionaire industrialist from Cleveland, became famous for his stable of brood mares and racing stock.

In Kansas City the Oglebays were instrumental in getting 15th Street widened at a time when the east city limits ended at Campbell.

The old residence became the clubhouse for the Eagles in 1904 and it was used by them for 55 years. R. B. Jones purchased the property in 1959 and the house was razed to make way for an office building.

Kansas City Star
December 11, 1976

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectMasonic Orders
Residences
Oglebay, James H.
Buildings
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000371
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,688 back to results previous next