Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Our Lady of Good Counsel Church
Our Lady of Good Counsel Church
TitleOur Lady of Good Counsel Church
DescriptionPostcard of the Our Lady of Good Counsel Church at 3934 Washington
Historical ArticleShowers on Sunday, July 15, 1906, did not prevent a large crowd from witnessing the laying of the cornerstone for Our Lady of Good Counsel Church at 3934 Washington.

After a service in the old church building Bishop Lillis and the attending clergy proceeded to the grounds of the church, adjoining, where the cornerstone was placed in position.

The parchment deposited in the stone was inscribed as follows:

On this day, July 15, 1906, Pius X being Pope; Right Rev. John J. Hogan, bishop of the diocese of Kansas City; Rev. James T. Walsh, pastor; Rev. John W. Keyes and Rev. T. D. Kelly, assistant pastors; Messrs. William T. Johnson, Henry Bruening and C. A. Kessler, church committee; Theodore Roosevelt, president of the United States; J. W. Folk, governor of the state of Missouri; H. M. Beardsley, mayor of Kansas City; Right Rev. Bishop F. Lillis of the diocese of Leavenworth did, in the presence of many priests and people, place in position the cornerstone of the church of Our Lady of Good Counsel.

In an address at the time, the bishop took the occasion to compliment the people and to announce that the new church would be ready for occupancy by Christmas.

The church was dedicated by Bishop Lillis Nov. 28, 1906. The rectory, adjoining the church was built in 1924. The Rev. John Weiss is the pastor of the church today.

Kansas City Star
March 5, 1977
AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectOur Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church
Churches
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000380
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,695 back to results previous next