Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Evanston Golf Club
Evanston Golf Club
TitleEvanston Golf Club
DescriptionPostcard of the Evanston Golf Club grounds
Historical ArticleAs you approach the entrance to Swope Park, you could be driving through the bed of an old lake.

The lake was located on the grounds of the Evanston Golf Club, west of Swope Park in an area between 63rd and 65th, Prospect and Swope Parkway. (The Evanston Golf Club in not to be confused with the Swope Park Golf Club.)

Old plats of Tuttle-Ayers & Woodward verify the location as described in Carrie Whitney's history of Kansas City, which lists the homes of the Evanston Golf Club from the time of its founding to 1905. She states:

The Evanston Golf club was organized about 1897 when golf was new to the West. When the club first started the links were at Fairmount Park. The club moved from Fairmount on March 12, 1901, to Evanston, on the Independence Line, some distance east of Colonel Van Horn's country home on the high ground north of 15th Street.

In the spring of 1905 the old Swope home and grounds opposite the entrance to Swope Park were leased for a term of 15 years. The old home was left standing and additions were built on either side. The Swope homestead had been noted for years as one of the most attractive seats in Jackson County.

Today this entire area is completely filled by the wide mall and approaches to Swope Park, Southeast High School, the school's athletic field and private residences.

There were 300 club members in 1908. John C. Fennell was president; Frank P. Sebree, vice-president; Alexander Janssen, treasurer; George B. Flack, secretary; Charles S. Jobes, James E. Seaver and E. F. Swinney made up the finance committee, and Robert W. Hodge, Elliott H. Jones and Henry E. Long were members of the greens and ground committee.

Kansas City Times
July 9, 1977

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectGolf
Sports
Evanston Golf Club
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000390
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,705 back to results previous next