Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Holmes Park, Shelter House
Holmes Park, Shelter House
TitleHolmes Park, Shelter House
DescriptionPostcard of Shelter House at Holmes Park
Historical ArticleHolmes Square Park was at the southwest corner of 18th and Holmes. The one-block-square plot was acquired by the city in 1896 and was the first park acquired under condemnation proceedings and the first to be developed and supervised. (Recent acquisition by condemnation of Shoal Creek Park, now designated Robert Hodge Park, involved 643 acres of rolling farmland in Kansas City North.)

Holmes Square Park was placed under supervision in 1909. Carrie Whitney, who was writing her three-volume history about this time, described the acquisition: Holmes Square, located in a densely settled community comprised of both white and colored citizens, has always been a popular neighborhood center, and until the summer of 1907 was treated as purely an open breathing space with green lawns, shrubbery and trees. At the above date, owing to the growing popularity of the playground idea, swings and other appliances were installed and probably more than two or three times the children are today seen in the square than heretofore.

A contract has been let for an addition to the shelter building in this square to cost about $12,000, which will provide a public comfort station and shower baths for both sexes as well as an auditorium and playground 40 by 60 that will be open as a children's play resort in the winter time. The auditorium will also be utilized for free evening entertainment of various kinds, provided by the voluntary civic associations devoted to educational work, and the associations will find here a fine field in which to operate.

In later years the neighborhood ceased to be an area of homes and became a busy business section. The site of the old park is now owned by the Kansas City Power & Light Co. and is familiar to many as they drive along 18th because of the company's unusual substation painted bright colors.

Kansas City Times
September 1, 1978
AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectParks
Holmes Square Park
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000434
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,746 back to results previous next