Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Muehlebach Hotel, Main Lobby
Muehlebach Hotel, Main Lobby
TitleMuehlebach Hotel, Main Lobby
DescriptionPostcard of the Main Lobby at the Muehlebach Hotel
Historical ArticleThe lobby of the Hotel Muehlebach, with its thick Oriental rugs, writing desks, tall lamps, potted palms, lounge chairs and a roaring wood fire, is pictured on an old promotional post card, one of a set, put out by the hotel shortly after it opened in1915.

This time of the year the room was fragrant with the scent of pine from the huge Christmas tree in the lobby almost reaching up to the ceiling above the mezzanine floor. The mezzanine allowed visitors a place to view the lobby below.

Many large dinner and dancing parties were given at the old Muehlebach in the days before the country clubs took over such affairs. Big name bands played for dancing at the Terrace Grill and were especially popular during the holidays.

The traditional Yuletide Tea dances for the young set held at the hotel were organized in 1916 by Mrs. Horatio Harmon in a pre-denim day when boys and girls of junior and senior high school age enjoyed a gala afternoon between Christmas and New Year's, dressed in their very best. The buffet fare usually included chicken salad, ham buns and hot chocolate. The tea dances at Christmas time were held at the hotel for 54 years, according to Martha Gaylord, and were only discontinued in the last decade.

The Muehlebach was built with funds from the estate of George Muehlebach, who came to Kansas City from Switzerland in 1857 and opened a saddle shop. His farm and vineyard were west of Westport. Later he established a brewery, first located at 18th and Main. The hotel, erected after his death, was leased to the Trianon Hotel Company.

George E. Muehlebach, a son, started working for the brewery after his graduation from Spalding's Business College. In 1905 after the death of his father he became president of the brewery. He is remembered as the owner of the Kansas City Blues between the years 1917 and 1932 and for building the old Muehlebach Stadium, later called the Municipal Stadium.

Kansas City Times
December 14, 1979

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectHotels
Muehlebach Hotel
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000475
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,785 back to results previous next