Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Independence, MO, St Mary's Academy & Church
Independence, MO, St Mary's Academy & Church
TitleIndependence, MO, St Mary's Academy & Church
DescriptionPostcard of St. Mary's Academy & Church, Independence, MO
Historical ArticleSt. Mary's Catholic Church in Independence, said to be the oldest church building in Jackson County, and the old St. Mary's convent, date back to a time before the Civil War.

A French and Indian mission was established in 1823 and it became a parish in 1845 when the Rev. Bernard Donnelly arrived to become the first resident pastor.

Reconstruction of the church began in 1890 when the 110-foot-tall steeple was added. The 1,600-pound church bell, still in use today, was cast in 1894.

The walnut pews were designed and made by the Rev. Thomas Fitzgerald (1875-1910) in his carpenter shop in back of the rectory. He selected and prepared the walnut trees to be used for the pews and other furnishings of the church.

Old St. Mary's Academy was built in 1876 on North Liberty Street, a combination convent and grade school.

The Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth conducted a boarding school the first four years. Since 1882, the Sisters of Mercy have been administrators and teachers in the schools and parish.

Old St. Mary's convent was razed in 1959 to make room for the second new building for the school, which was moved into a new building on Salisbury Road in the fall of 1976.

The fast growing St. Mary's High School now occupies the former grade school buildings. A new convent, across the street from the church, was dedicated in 1961.

Kansas City Times
August 15, 1980

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectSaint Mary's Catholic Church
Saint Mary's Academy
Catholic Churches
Catholic Schools
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000501
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,810 back to results previous next