Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Independence Boulevard
Independence Boulevard
TitleIndependence Boulevard
DescriptionPostcard of Independence Boulevard
Historical ArticleThis old post card, titled Independence Boulevard and lithographed in color, is No. 2 of a set of cards copyrighted in 1899 by G.H. Otto.

The quiet, tree-lined street was largely residential at the time and the Northeast District was slated to become Kansas City's most fashionable neighborhood.

Many of Kansas City's prominent citizens had already built Independence Boulevard mansions, with cupolas and turrets, carriage houses, barns, gardens and fine landscaped lawns. Robert Keith, furniture merchant, lived in one of these dwellings and often rode horseback to his downtown store on 11th Street. David Bealls, banker, was another who chose Independence Boulevard for his palatial home.

Harper's Weekly ran a four-page supplement to its publication on Feb. 5, 1888, describing Kansas City. It was titled The Gateway of Kansas, and pictured businesses, theaters and churches. The accompanying article said:

Society is yet in its formative state. It is naturally of a cosmopolitan character. On the west side most of the people live who upheld the Northern cause during the war. Some of the oldest houses in the city are on the West Bluff (Quality Hill) overlooking the West Bottoms, noteworthy among which is Mr. John Doggett's house, and old plantation seat that is soon to give place to a lofty apartment structure.

The Southern people and those who have become suddenly rich have built up the east side with many handsome and costly homes.

Pictured on the old post card are a few residences, double street car tracks and a street car. In the distance is the fine new four-story Bonadventure Hotel (1866) and the tall spire of the Independence Avenue Methodist Church, located at Independence and Olive.

Not discernible is one of the first and smallest parks, the 1.73-acre grassy plot on both sides of the street, Independence Plaza, acquired in 1898 between Brooklyn and Park, near the hotel.

Kansas City Times
April 24, 1981

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectStreets
Independence Avenue Methodist Church
Bonaventure Hotel
Independence Boulevard
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000519
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,828 back to results previous next