Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Fidelity National Bank
Fidelity National Bank
TitleFidelity National Bank
DescriptionPostcard of the Fidelity National Bank building at 9th and Walnut
Historical ArticleThe Fidelity National Bank & Trust Co., at the southeast corner of 9th and Walnut, occupied a three-story gray sandstone building erected by the U.S. government for postal and customs services. It was known later as the old Federal Building and was known for the town clock and bell, with deep melodious tones, located in the towers. The clock was purchased by popular subscription and could be heard all over downtown, helping merchants set their own clocks and watches.

The building was erected in 1884 during the time Theodore Case was postmaster. He was appointed by President Grant and reappointed by President Hayes and President Arthur.

Three years after completion of the building, Kansas City was visited by President Cleveland and his bride. He was the first U.S. president to visit Kansas City and spoke to a crowd of about 5,000 from the second-story balcony of the building pictured. One of the festivities in his honor was the first Priests of Pallas Parade. The parades became an important annual event from then on.

The old building housed Kansas City's first weather bureau with Patrick Connor in charge. Two years later the bureau moved to the Rialto Building and then to the new skyscraper, the Scarritt Building, in 1907.

By 1900 the Federal Building was no longer adequate as a postoffice for growing Kansas City and the move was made to new quarters occupying the square block 8th to 9th, Grand to McGee.

The Fidelity National Bank & Trust Co. was the building's next occupants, as the caption of the old postcard shows. Later on the site the bank built the 35-story building now occupied by federal government offices.

Kansas City Times
February 25, 1983

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectFidelity Bank
Banks
Fidelity National Bank Building (first)
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000578
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,882 back to results previous next