Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Rock's Lake
Rock's Lake
TitleRock's Lake
DescriptionPostcard of Rock's Lake nursery at 63rd and Meyer
Historical ArticleRock's Lake, on acreage between Troost and the Paseo, 63rd and Meyer, was owned by William L. Rock, a nurseryman and florist in Kansas City more than 50 years. His greenhouses were on the 18-acre field beside the lake.

The greenhouses, eventually 20 in all, were just south of the city limits, and no city water was available at the time. The lake, formed by damming Town Fork brook, was the source of water for the plants and flowers. Mr. Rock built a windmill, along with a large wooden water tower, for use in pumping water from the lake.

Mr. Rock's first floral shop was in a corner of Morton's Confectionery at 1024 Main, in 1897. Soon he moved to 1116 Walnut where he remained until 1912. That year his floral company, Rock's Inc., was established at 1108 Grand, with a 20-year lease in the Mason Building. At the age of 84, in 1947, Mr. Rock closed his business and retired.

The colorful window displays at the Grand Avenue shop are remembered. After Mr. Rock's retirement, an editorial in The Star read: Grand Avenue has lost its boutonniere, its perennial nosegay. That window of fine flora, in good arrangement, Rock's Flowers at 1108 Grand is bleak these May days, after having been an emphasized point of beauty on the thoroughfare 37 years.

The J.C. Nichols Company bought the Rock property and remaining greenhouses at the 63rd Street location in 1946. The lake and dam had been destroyed long before to make way for Meyer Boulevard. The greenhouses, where up to 52 persons had been employed, were razed. Today the Landing shopping center occupies the site.

The postcard was published by the Southwest News Company, and printed in Leipzig, Germany.

Kansas City Times
March 11, 1983
AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectBusinesses
Rock's Lake
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,883 back to results previous next