Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Main Street, South from 3rd Street
Main Street, South from 3rd Street
TitleMain Street, South from 3rd Street
DescriptionPostcard of Main Street, South from 3rd Street
Historical ArticleLooking much like a street scene from an old Western movie is this photographic postcard of Main Street, south from 3rd, in 1867. The Missouri River landing and wharves were three blocks north.

Men on horseback and some with wagons are seen along the muddy street. Signs hanging form storefronts on the right side read the Great White Clothing Co., Gus Gertle; Saloon; Hardware, Stoves & Tinware; C. Frank, Groceries; Hannibal & St. Joe Office. On the left side signs read: Billiard Hall and F.A. & S.A. Pelletier--Painters. The hillside in the background is dotted with small dwellings.

The Birdsdall-Williams 1881 History of Jackson County calls 1867 a great era in Kansas City. Edward Herrick Allen, Republican of Mayflower ancestry, was mayor. He lived in a fine home on Quality Hill, at 1304 Pennsylvania. He was an official of the Gas Works, first put in operation in October 1867. Appropriations for lighting the city streets with gas had been voted the July preceding. He advocated the first volunteer fire department. He sought new industries and got Kendall Boot & Shoe Co. and McDonald Paint & Glass Co. to locate here.

In February, 1867, the First National Bank was reorganized, with the sagacious banker Howard M. Holden as cashier and the capital of the bank was raised from $100,000 to $500,000.

In March of that year the city limits again were changed, 22nd Street becoming the south boundary, and Troost to 12th the east.

There were no public schools, but several subscription schools. According to the historical account, In the war (Civil) which had raged for four years with merciless fury, the minds of the people had been diverted from all peaceful and ennobling pursuits...

Laws providing for the establishment of schools were passed by the state legislature, and in August 1867 under that authority, Kansas City's first Board of Education was formed.

Kansas City Times
April 8, 1983

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectMain Street
Streets
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000581
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,885 back to results previous next