Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Missouri River, River Scene
Missouri River, River Scene
TitleMissouri River, River Scene
DescriptionPostcard of Missouri River, River Scene
Historical ArticleRiver Scene from Ft. Quindaro, showing Parkville in the distance, Kansas Ctiy, Kansas is the caption on a turn of the century postcard published by Webb-Freyschlag Mercantile Co.

Today little is known or remains of the town named for Quindaro Brown, a Wyandott Indian maid of royal blood, who became Mrs. Abelard Guthrie (he was a member of the original town company of Quindaro). The town, surveyed by O.A. Bassett, was bounded on the north by the Missouri River and extended far enough back to average about three-fourths of a mile in width.

Ground was broken on the town site January 1, 1857. Three or four buildings were erected by April 1, among them the Quindaro House, the second largest hotel in the territory of Kansas and the first one in the county. Ground was graded near the wharf and Kansas Avenue, the main street runing south from the river.

Professional men swarmed into Quindaro. Real estate and land agents were plentiful. Lots sold for exhorbitant prices. For months the wildest dreams of the town's founders seemed to be on their way to realization.

By July 1857 a ferry boat, 100 feet long with a 26 foot beam, was running between Quindaro and Parkville, directly across the river. A road, kept in prime condition, was built to Lawrence, Kan. There were daily stages. The sawmill, by October, was cutting 15,000 feet of lumber daily.

But the glory of Quindaro was already fading in 1862 when the 2nd U.S. Cavlry quartered there at the commencement of the Civil War. About 150 volunteers of the 9th Regiment were stationed in Quindaro under Order No. 8. They occupied houses, buildings and stables. Residents quickly moved to nearby Wyandott.

The postcard uses the title Ft. though Quindaro was never an official U.S. fort.

Kansas City Times
April 25, 1986

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectMissouri River
Rivers
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000655
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,956 back to results previous next