Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Park Drive
Park Drive
TitlePark Drive
DescriptionPostcard of Park Drive
Historical ArticlePark Drive West from Summit St., a 1909 postcard published in color in Germany by the Elite Postcard Co., pictures residences, a prancing team of white horses with driver and carriage and one open air roadster.

Park Drive referred to the drive through Roanoke Park, a 36-acre park in the western section of the city, entirely acquired by deeds of gift in 1902, '06, and '09 from the South Highlands Land and Improvement Co. and others who had caught the spirit of conserving nature's beauty and appreciated the resulting enhancement in value of nearby property.

According to the park board report of 1907, This property should be held as a bit of wilderness, which is now its charm, and which would be entirely lost if attempts were made to finely finish any part of this valley...In the old quarry west of Roanoke Ave. and north of 38th St., the very fine spring there should be developed; a pool and a modest water garden.

No mention was made of the tall dark cave under the street, where Jesse James, the outlaw, reportedly hid away for weeks.

Today the cave is closed and the spring capped. Built in the rugged park setting of ravines and limestone crag are a wading pool, tennis courts, baseball diamond, comfort station, the Westport Roanoke Community Center and several miles of roadway through the wooded forest.

Large residences, many of the native stone, prevail in the Roanoke district today, and seem to blend naturally into the scene. The late George E. Tucker's stone castle, with turret and red-tiled roof, on the high cliff at 35 E. Karnes, is typical.

The postcard was mailed from Kansas City in October 1909 by Albert Kuony of Omaha, Neb.

Kansas City Times
June 6, 1986

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectRoanoke Park
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,959 back to results previous next