Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Downtown, Northeast from R.A. Long Building
Downtown, Northeast from R.A. Long Building
TitleDowntown, Northeast from R.A. Long Building
DescriptionPostcard view of Downtown Kansas City, looking Northeast from the roof of the R.A. Long Building at 10th and Grand
Historical ArticleThe panoramic view of Kansas City's downtown, looking northeast from 8th Street, was taken from the roof of the R.A. Long building, Kansas City's first skyscraper.

The 14-story Long building, containing 259 offices, at the northwest corner of 10th and Grand, was erected by multi-millionaire lumberman Robert A. Long, at a cost of $,1,250,000. It was designed by Henry F. Hoit.

Centering the picture and occupying the entire block from 8th to 9th streets, Grand to McGee, is the magnificent old Georgia granite postal office and custom house, its gold dome visible from miles around. It was eight years in the building, from 1892 to June 1900. (It was razed in 1938.)

Street cars are seen at the intersection of 8th and Grand, with tracks visible all the way north to the old city market. Modern national highways would later dissect the scene with a deep cut, accomodating major Interstate highways, leading east to St. Louis and west into Kansas.

Pictured in the background is the broad sweep of the great Missouri River. The publisher of the postcard, printed in color, was the Southwest News Co. of Kansas City.

An unusual and helpful feature of the card was the labeling of major sructures pictured. This identifies the Scarrit building (left foreground); the Power House; the big old Jackson County native stone courthouse, opened April 14, 1892; the post office and custom house; and the three-story Journal Post newspaper building, partly obscured by a cloud of smoke, at right.

Kansas City Times
March 27, 1987

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectDowntown
R. A. Long Building
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,976 back to results previous next