Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
John B. Wornall Residence
John B. Wornall Residence
TitleJohn B. Wornall Residence
DescriptionPostcard of the John B. Wornall Residence
Historical ArticleThe John B. Wornall house on Wornall Road at 61st Terrace was built in 1858 on a 500-acre plot about three miles south of Westport. The closest neighbor, Hugh Ward, occupied a 450-acre farm north and west of Wornall's. The two families remained lifelong friends.

John Bristow Wornall came to Jackson County with his parents from Shelby, Ky., in 1844. According to Theodore Case, historian of early Kansas City, John's father, Richard Wornall, bequeathed to him a good name, unstained in any particular, and a place in the public esteem which could only be maintained by that gentleness, uprightness and real strength always so much applauded by honest hardworking pioneers.

The Wornall farm, like the Ward farm (now Loose Park), was the scene of violent activity during the Civil War. Marching soldiers from both North and South made their way on the dusty country road that became Wornall Road.

The large brick mansion, (pictured) served as a hospital for the wounded of both Union and Confederate armies.

Historian Case lists many of John Wornall's activities after the war. They relate to his work as a patron of public schools; director and president of the County Agricultural & Mechanical Association; contributions and letters to theWestport Recorder; Board of Trade membership when the board consisted of only 67 members; committee work with the board advocating street improvements; president of the Kansas City National Bank; president of the General Association of Missouri Baptists; trustee of the William Jewell College of Liberty and much of the time president of the board.

He was married in 1850 to Matilda A. Polk of Kentucky. She died in 1851. He was married in 1854 to Eliza S. Johnson, daughter of Rev. Thomas Johnson (for whom Johnson County is named). His third marriage occurred in September, 1866, to Miss R. Johnson.

Today the gracious old home with tall forest trees and green lawns looks very much as if it had been erected as part of its Country Club neighborhood. Actually, it was built as a farm home on a frontier tract. The residence is owned and restored by the Jackson County Historical Society and is open to the public daily except Mondays.

Kansas City Times
August 14, 1987
AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectWornall House
Wornall, John B.
Wornall Family
Wornall Road
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000685
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,985 back to results previous next