Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
The Workhouse
The Workhouse
TitleThe Workhouse
DescriptionPostcard of the Workhouse Prison
Historical ArticleThe old stone workhouse, a castellated design of undressed stone at 2033 Vine Street (one block east of the Paseo), was considered one of the sights of Kansas City in 1907, according to an early Journal-Post newspaper story.

The castle-like building, with a long wing extending east from the building, contained a row of one-story prison cells for those who violated city ordinances. An armed guard sat on a platform on the north side exterior. Administrative offices occupied the front space in the circular turret. The scene was much like that of a medieval castle, without the moat.

From 1872 until 1911 the city workhouse was a cherished institution of political patronage. The management and practices were often severely criticized.

When Mayor T.C. Crittendon Jr. received the 1909 report of the Board of Pardons and Paroles with a list of grievances, including overcrowding, frequent escapes, unclean bedding, vermin, lack of medical attention, poor food, perpetual gambling, prisoners kept in cells in idleness and intoxicating liquors and drugs available to prisoners during confinement, the superintendent and most of the staff resigned or were fired.

George E. Kessler, Kansas City park board designer, called the warden of the federal prison at Leavenworth for advice. More than 100 acres of land southeast of Leeds, with running water, two gas wells, and four oil wells, were purchased for $30,000 for a new workhouse.

Kessler's plan for the Leeds facility made possible activities for the prisoners, such as vegetable gardening, quarrying and stone cutting. Underbrush was cleared, and barracks were built by the men, making possible a permanent move to the Leeds farm June 23, 1911. (Only women prisoners remained in the old workhouse.)

In later years the old building served the city in different ways such as sewer maintenance offices and storage.

Today the sturdy old castle, long unused, and the surrounding area is being considered for use as a museum complex for black history.

Kansas City Times
December 4, 1987

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectBuildings
Workhouse
Prisons
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000692
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://www.kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,992 back to results previous next