Title: Anderson Avenue at Gladstone Boulevard
Description: Postcard of stone bridge at Anderson Avenue and Gladstone Boulevard
Historical Article: An old post card published in color shows Gladstone Boulevard, Kansas City's first boulevard constructed under the Board of Park Commissioners. Construction from Independence Avenue began in the fall of 1895.
Early automobiles are shown crossing the stone bridge at Anderson Avenue. Fine iron grill work, wide steps and an iron handrail and iron lamp posts with gas lighting are evident.
The 2.82-mile Gladstone Boulevard, from Independence Avenue to the Indian mound, was named for W. E. Gladstone and was completed in 1897.
Anderson Avenue was named for an early-day settler, Joseph C. Anderson, who lived on a farm at 11th and the Blue River, where he ran a sawmill.
Kansas City Times
January 20, 1978
Author: Ray, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item Type: Postcard
Collection: Mrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local Subject: Anderson Avenue Bridge; Bridges; Gladstone Boulevard; Streets
Digital Format: JPEG
Repository: Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
Rights: Reproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.