Local History Index
Culture & Society
Local History Index
add to favorites
Search results for:
"Postcards" michael bushnell
Search current collection(s) again
Refine your search
"The cure for what ails ya"
August 15, 2012
Postcard image of and short article on the Thornton & Minor Sanitorium, 10th and Oak Street. The hospital was founded by Dr. T.W. Thornton in 1887. Eight years later, in 1885, Thorton partnered with Dr....
12th Street Viaduct Links Downtown to Bottoms
July 20, 2011
Photo postcard showing the construction of the "new" 12th Street Viaduct and an accompanying article about its opening on March 8, 1915.
A Little Slice of Beverly Hills in Independence
January 9, 2008
Postcard image and short article about the Beverly Hills Acre Tracts subdivision in eastern Jackson County between the city limits of Kansas City and Independence, Mo. The housing tract was developed in...
A Turbulent Path for Rose Followed a Career Creating Beautiful Buildings
June 4, 2008
Short article about William W. Rose, architect and former mayor of Kansas City, Kansas. After two controversial stints as mayor in 1905 and 1906, Rose returned to the architectural profession and went...
Aviation History Took Flight at Fairfax
May 5, 2010
Postcard image and short article about the history of the Fairfax Industrial District, Fairfax Airport and Aircraft Assembly Plant. The Fairfax Airport opened in 1928 and was the primary airmail departure...
Bartle, Paige, Pendergast All Call Forest Hill Home
June 1, 2011
Postcard image of Forest Hill Cemetery (69th & Troost Ave.) and a short article about some of the notable Kansas Citians buried there.
Benton Circle: The Early Days
August 12, 2009
Postcard image (ca. 1925-30) of the Benton Circle intersection located at St. John Avenue and Benton and Gladstone boulevards. The accompanying article includes information about a monument and plaque...
Building Stands the Test of Time and Redevelopment
September 3, 2008
Postcard image and short article on the Kansas City Power and Light building, located at 14th Street and Walnut. Completed in 1931, the 31-story building was designed by local architects Hoit, Price and...
Car Dealers Replace Old Mill
July 6, 2011
Postcard image of the the Old Watt's Mill on Indian Creek and a short article about the mill's history. It was built in 1832 by Jackson County Judge John Fitzhugh and later purchased by Anthony Watts of...
Civil War Heritage in Forest Hill Cemetery
January 4, 2012
Postcard image and brief history of Forest Hill Cemetery. Located at 69th St. and Troost Ave., Forest Hill was incorporated in 1888 and is the resting place of several notable Kansas Citians. The cemetery...
Corner Market Did Business on Ninth Street
December 3, 2008
Postcard image and short article about Benedict L. Bredburg's Metropolitan Grocery. The store was located at 5000 E. Ninth St. in Kansas City, Missouri. The postcard dates from the early 1900s.
Crowds Flock to Memorial Dedication
May 25, 2011
Postcard image and accompanying article describing the large crowds and dignitaries on hand for the dedication of the Liberty Memorial, November 1, 1921.
Cure For What Ails Ya
October 5, 2011
Postcard image and short article about The Ralph Sanitarium in Kansas City, located at 529 Highland Street. The treatment center was founded by Dr. Benjamin Burroughs Ralph. According to the postcard advertisement,...
Durand's Chicken Dinners-Nothing Better
February 19, 2014
Postcard image of Durand's Restaurant in Platte Woods, Missouri (7512 N.W. Highway 71) and a short article about the development of the city. Platte Woods was incorporated in 1956 in order to avoid annexation...
Early 1900s School Site Is Now Interstate Interchange
June 23, 2010
Postcard image and short article about the Chace Public School and its namesake, former Kansas City mayor Charles A. Chace. Built in 1880, the school was located on Paseo Blvd. between 15th and 16th streets....
Elks Building Gone but Lodge 26 Still Vibrant
September 21, 2011
Postcard image and short article about the old Elks Lodge, no. 26 building located at 7th & Grand streets. The brownstone building was designed by William Walters of Oshkosh, Wis., and served as the Wisconsin...
Famed Theater Designers Made Mark on Kansas City
March 24, 2010
Short article about Robert and Carl Boller, founders of the Boller & Boller architectural firm. The brothers designed and remodeled hundreds of theaters in the western United States, including several...
Filled: The Real Deal on Northeast's Reservoir
March 14, 2012
Article gives a history of the old reservoir overlooking Cliff Drive in the Northeast district. The reservoir was completed in 1920 and had a capacity of 16 million gallons of water. It became obsolete...
Fire Destroys Once Grand Fairmount Park
March 23, 2011
Postcard image and short historical article about the old Fairmount Park, located in what is now Sugar Creek, Missouri. The 50-acre recreational area was developed by railroad magnate Arthur Stilwell to...
Fountain Stands the Test of Time
March 28, 2012
Postcard image and short article about the American Legion Memorial Fountain. Originally located at Ninth and Main streets, the drinking fountain was designed by Kansas City sculptor Robert Merril Gage...
add to favorites
14 West Tenth St. | Kansas City, MO 64105 |