Missouri Valley Room
Located on the fifth floor of the Central Library, the Missouri Valley Room is open to all Library visitors. Walk-ins are welcome, but if you'd like to make an appointment to speak with a staff member and/or access specific materials, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816.701.3427.
Registration is required to access most of the materials in the Missouri Valley Room. Users are asked to complete a brief form, present a valid KCPL card or government-issued photo ID, and follow the rules of the room. These include:
- No materials may leave the Missouri Valley Room
- No food or drinks
- Only pencils may be used for taking notes (no pens, highlighters, etc.)
- Personal items such as bags, backpacks, purses, laptop cases, coats, and jackets must be stored in a locker in the cloakroom
All researchers will receive a complete list of the rules to read and sign.
Patrons are welcome to make use of the room's study tables, free wireless internet, microfilm machines and collections, research computers, and photocopier. Photocopies and computer-printed items are 10 cents per page.
The Missouri Valley Room offers an extensive browsing collection on the following topics: American West; Civil War; African American history and culture; Kansas City and regional growth; local art, society, and culture; and genealogy. Additional items such as periodicals and scholarly history publications are also available.
Our staff are happy to retrieve materials from the closed stacks for patrons' use. Please see the staff member at the reference desk for assistance.
- 1 hour free with validation from Library staff.
- $1 every 20 minutes (or portion thereof) with a maximum charge per day of $10.
- $5 for the day if you arrive prior to 1/2 hour before the Library opens. (Validation isn't available with for this option.)
- $5 after Library hours.